Thursday, May 17, 2007

Shoulda Been an Artist

I blew it. I should have become an artist. Grabbed a copy of today's KC Star and headed out to dinner.

Got myself seated, relaxed and started eating. Opened the newspaper and eventually got to page 3. That's where I saw it. A picture of a 1950 painting by Mark Rothko entitled "White Center (Yellow, Pink and Lavender on Rose)" Then I read the accompanying article. This painting brought $72.8 Million at auction yesterday at Sotheby's in New York.

My first reaction was............why didn't I think of doing something like this? I could sit my grandson down with some finger paints and become an instant millionaire. Or, I could throw some paint on a canvas and let some neighborhood pets walk on the canvas. Another thought is to place a canvas on the floor, climb a ladder and just shoot paint balls at it.

I'm sure that there are local art connoisseurs out there who probably think that I am very low class for these comments. Certainly I don't have an appreciation of fine art.