Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Ya Gotta Love It

This could turn out to be a long read. Prepare yourself.

I've been catching quite a bit of flack for saying that Kevin Straub had a right to voice his opinion regarding the trash hauling situation.

So, where do I start? First, until the US Constitution is rewritten I will, where necessary, voice my opinion. Additionally, even if I disagree with a person, I will defend their right to voice theirs.

It is ironic though, that the people who are telling me I should not have even voiced my opinion are using that same right to make those statements. Ironic? Hypocritical? I didn't serve four years in army green (one of those years in a combat zone) to give up that right.

Some folks have said that elected officials shouldn't be voicing opinions without having all the info. Horse nonsense. Elected officials have an obligation to let the people they represent know where they stand at any given point in a discussion. That way, citizens can express their views to those officials knowing what they are up against. I've said it before and I'll say it again........we see this all the time in the US Congress. Congressmen will say that based on current info their position on a presidential initiative is such and such. Sometimes they maintain that position, sometimes they change it. But they are not leaving the electorate in the dark.

A couple of years ago I was involved in the debate concerning the smoking issue in Shawnee. One individual emailed me and said, among other things: "I remember another issue that you also advocated the need to be informed on before the actual ordinance would be passed, smoking"

Well, the person that wrote that was not quite accurate. What I was complaining about was that some council members wanted to pass an ordinance without following procedure. But, at no time did I say that they should not voice their opinion. At least their position was known and one could debate them knowing where they stood. To me, that was better than the comments by another council member at the time. I queried another council member about their position. Admittedly I cannot now quote verbatim what they said, but I do remember my gut reaction after hearing their "position". My gut feeling was that I wished that I had some blueberries and whipped cream to go along with that waffle.

When an elected official says that they have no opinion and are waiting for all the facts, I will question the veracity of that statement. They are human (I think) and human nature is usually to have an opinion. They usually don't want to voice their opinion for fear of criticism or fear that someone might engage them in debate to change that opinion. Or, they are more concerned about maintaining their office, and getting reelected, rather than being open with the populace.

So, for those of you who have been critical of my saying that Straub had a right to voice his opinion, congratulations. You are now exercising your right to express your opinion. I will support that action, eventhough I disagree with the thoughts.