Friday, May 22, 2020

Constance Replies About Park Board Nominee

Shawnee City Council Member Lindsey Constance responded to my blog post from yesterday.  You can scroll down to read it, or access it by clicking here.

Since she was kind enough to respond, I will post her email here, followed by my reply:

Constance email of 5/21/20: 


Hi Ray,

Regarding your question about my recommendation to appoint Mr. Waltman to the Parks Board, Elizabeth (our volunteer coordinator) doesn’t require the Parks Board applicants to re-do their applications, instead they may remain on file for future consideration.

Mr. Waltman’s application was from 2018, so I did reach out to him and had a conversation over the phone last week before making my selection. He is not planning to push forward the community center, as that didn’t pass the public vote. Mr. Waltman’s reference to that in his application was 2 years old prior to the election last spring.

Let me know if you have further questions. Thanks and enjoy your week.

Lindsey

My reply to that email:

Lindsey,


This is a perfect example as to why applications need to be updated.  The community center project was a very contentious issue.

A purported conversation between you and him that he would not pursue the item can best be described as hearsay.  You are not him.

My suggestion would be for Mr. Waltman to send a signed letter as an addendum to the application reiterating your purported conversation.  The letter needs to be added to the agenda packet.  If he is unwilling to do so then I would suggest that his nomination be withdrawn.

Stay well

Ray

Final thoughts:

Just because she says that he told her he would not pursue, I would love to see that in writing. From him, not her. Lindsey Constance has a habit of not necessarily being forthcoming.  Just look at how she didn't divulge important info about the comparisons when it came to her vote to give the city manager a raise.