Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Correspondence With Councilmember Burchfield

 Recently I emailed Councilmember Burchfield concerning the city council meeting of 12/11/23.  A copy of the email is listed below.  In keeping with a desire to maintain transparency her reply email, unedited, is also listed below.  Readers can judge for themselves what they think about each email.  They might also want to listen to the audio of the 12/11/23 meeting.

My email:

Councilmember Burchfield,

 At this past Monday’s council meeting after I made my comments about the lack of transparency regarding the possible appointment of two council members to a joint study group you commented to the effect that even though you were one of the designated individuals you had no problem with delaying action until Jan 8, 2024.

 When it came time to vote on moving the item to January you voted against it, as reported in the Shawnee Mission Post.

 Would you mind clarifying the contradictory action on your part?

 So that there are no misunderstandings regarding transparency, this email will be posted to my blog along with an unedited copy of your response.

 Thank you

 Ray Erlichman

Her reply:

Hello Ray,

Thank you for your email and the opportunity to clarify.

 I don’t believe my actions were contradictory. I spoke that I was open to a discussion on the appointments at the January meeting so that the public had enough time to be informed participants in the conversation. After further comments from city staff, other council members, and the mayor I voted no on the motion because I didn’t believe the Council Committee meeting was the correct place for the discussion, I did not think the Mayor intended to make appointments, and I didn’t believe the city staff were ready to move forward with the workgroup.

 Thank you,

 Laurel