Wednesday, May 05, 2010

City Support For Statewide Texting Ban

After I gave my presentation on 4/20/10 (date edited on 5/16/10 because of typo it originally showed as 3/20/10) it was obvious that the city was still not going to consider a local ordinance regarding the use of cell phones. When I said that it would be good if the city would at least officially support state action I was informed that that had been done.

That came as a surprise since I did not remember any press release or other public notification of that action.

It turns out that back in January Mayor Meyers sent letters to each of the five state representatives that have portions of Shawnee in their district (Talia, Brown, Donohoe, Neighbor & Quigley) supporting state action on this topic. The city forwarded to me copies of the letters. The letter to Mr Talia is reproduced below, as the others are the same.
(Click on the image to see a larger version).

Personally, I think it is a step in the right direction. Again, why this support of the state legislation was not publicized is beyond me.
(Unless it was and I missed it)