Monday, May 03, 2010

O'Connell & Nachbar Top My List

Well, I have looked at the resumés for the five applicants for the Ward 1 seat First, let me say I would still like to see an election. That probably is not going to happen. So, what about the five who applied? All of the resumés look good, but to me, two of them stand out.

Those two are James J O'Connell and Gregory P Nachbar.

1. James J O'Connell.......a brief synopsis


  • 21 years combined as CEO of two major metro hospitals

  • Secretary, Dept of Health & Environment, State of Kansas

  • 30 years US Air Force (10 active 20 reserve) retired as a colonel

  • Major positions with various professional organizations

  • My comments: Individual has a history of being in positions that require decision making, fiscal responsibility and team building. My first choice.

2. Gregory P Nachbar.......a brief synopsis



  • Most recently, over 20 years with a major ($300m) corporation. His resumé would indicate a strong background in a senior management position responsible for various functions to include purchasing, HS&E, and meeting financial and operational targets

  • My comments: Strong corporate experience with responsibilities in many areas that require the ability to be a decision maker. One does not stay and advance with the company he works for by making wrong decisions.

You can view all of the resumés on line at:


http://www.cityofshawnee.org/Meetings/AGENDAS.NSF/vwNews/6990F2D05EC85D9F862577150073D23B/$FILE/84XQXB.pdf


My primary concern is and has been that there might be a predetermination for Jim Neighbor. See my posts below dated 4/17 (Did I Blow It?) and 4/25 (May 10, 2010 - Mark Your Calendars). Hope I'm wrong on that point.