Sunday, July 07, 2013

Be Careful With Cigarette Butts

Saturday morning I flew back to KCI after spending a week with my kids and grandkids on the UP of Michigan.  Beautiful country.  Highs in the 70's and lows at night 40's - 50's. 

Anyway, as I'm deplaning I turn my cell phone back on, and just as I approach bag claim the voice mail tone comes on. I look at the screen and it's from the apartment complex I live at.  Hmmmm, well I listen to the VM.  Apparently at around 2:15AM someone tossed a lit cigarette on my balcony.  Whether it came from a careless smoker on another balcony or one walking by flipping it in the air, it started a fire on the balcony.  Fortunately somebody saw the flames, called the FD and they responded rather quickly.  So quickly, that the only damage was to the balcony.  No structural or interior damage occurred.  And, more importantly no people were hurt.

A big thank you to the crew from station 71.  You folks are good

Carelessly disposing of cigarette butts can be disastrous whether it's a single family or multi family structure.  A wooden deck on a single family unit can go up in flames just as easily.

Folks, if you're going to smoke outside on a deck, patio, balcony or whatever, have a coffee can filled with either water or sand, and use it.

WARNING!!!!!!  The City Manager of Shawnee has determined that local bloggers post items that may contain bad or misinformation.  Please read these posts with care and determine for yourself whether the information is valid.
If you would like to comment about this post, any other post on this blog, or about anything, please go to